Presenting Winka Dubbeldam, the founder and principal of Archi-Tectonics, and one of the most amazing architects of New York City. Let’s take a look at an exclusive interview for New York Design Agenda and know a litter bit more about Winka’s work.
1. Why have you decided becoming an architect?
When growing up we moved a lot which entailed rebuilding and building new homes, which inspired me!
2. How would you describe your style? Do you have a signature touch?
I focus on rethinking the question in extreme detail, and by carefully analyzing all aspect, a design will emerge; essentially “growing” into its shape.
3. Can you talk about one of your favorite projects that you have developed?
I love our Greenwich building with its folded glass facade; and of course our more recent V33 building in TriBeCa. But I have to say that it is often in the very small that we re-invent things!
You may also like: INTERVIEW WITH ARCHITECT CAROL CIOPPA
4. Is there anything exciting that you are working on at the moment that you can tell us about? Any new projects?
Yes we are working on a new concept for a mind expanding gym to be placed in multiple locations. How great!
5. What do you love about being an architect?
The variety of work, different scales and great people one meets. Essentially to be able to use the right and left half of the brain!
6. Where do you draw your inspiration from?
Reading philosophy books and travel to far places.
You may also like:
7.Which major international events do you attend/follow to get all the latest novelties?
TED Global, lectures of great people, dinners with great people, and my vacation travels.
8. Which architects do you admire?
I admire many; but maybe Hans Scharoun could be my favorite.
9. What is your philosophy on architecture and life?
Learn learn learn ….. and think long term.
10. Describe yourself in three words.
Curious, fast and patient [ in short; a contradiction].
What do you think about this amazing architect? Leave a comment bellow!